Project: Sustainable and Responsible Actions for Making Industries Care (SRAMIC)
Location of posting: Dhaka
Types of contract: Contractual
Duration: up to June 30, 2019
Number of position: 1 (one)
Salary and benefits: Monthly Gross Salary will be 96,970/- with other admissible benefits such as festival bonus, provident fund, gratuity, medical benefit, group life insurance etc.
The overall objective of the project is to promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth through the realisation of the decent work agenda for garment, leather and tannery workers in the two largest cities Dhaka and Chittagong in Bangladesh. Through inclusive and more effective civil society action the project will collectivise and empower up to 813,000 workers (particularly women) working in 950 garment factories and 50 tannery and leather plants to increase their access to entitlements and better working conditions in order to ultimately realise the decent work agenda. In addition, wide-ranging campaigns and mass awareness raising on worker rights and entitlements will reach up to 3.6 million people.
This three and half year project will work with diverse stakeholders such as trade union structures, civil society organizations and relevant government departments and will be implemented in coordination with five partner organizations in Dhaka and Chittagong.
This position reports to Deputy Director – Programme, Policy and Campaigns of ActionAid Bangladesh. The Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for the overall implementation and management of the project and will be supported by a Programme Officer – Advocacy and Networking and an Officer – Accounts and Grant Management. The PM will be responsible for ensuring required inputs from relevant team members are received on time, activities are carried out as per quarterly/annual planning and outputs are achieved fully as per the project design and donor requirements. The incumbent will, as required, work across AAB’s strategic priorities to ensure that results of the project are well communicated. S/he has to visit regularly and extensively to project areas (Dhaka city and Chittagong city) to achieve better outcomes from the project.
Key responsibilities include (not limited to):
- Responsible for designing, operationalizing, and monitoring of project interventions;
- Ensure quality of programme delivered by the partners;
- Provide technical support to the partners to implement planned activities and oversee partner activities on the field;
- Monitor and evaluate programme interventions, and provide technical support / assistance and esures receipt of timely and useful reports from the partners, evaluate effectiveness of the project outputs and capture lessons learned;
- Ensure timely and accurate monitoring of budget it’s and utilisation, maintaining close communication with the finance unit.
- Initiate / conduct / facilitate research / study;
- Responsible for maintaining and strengthening relationships with partners and other external stakeholders.
- Take lead to donor communication and contract management with partner organisation and ensures timely preparation of periodic project updates and donor reports that highlights accomplishment of the project activities;
- Design policy advocacy and campaigns. Create and establish programme and policy advocacy linkages with other Strategic Priorities (SPs) / Key Change Promises (KCPs) of ActionAid as and when required;
- Create / maintain and establish networking relationship with other organisations/institutions on relevant issues;
- Ensure alignment with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and operationalise annual plan;
- Team building and management;
- Produce quality report for internal and external purpose;
- Communication with concerned, external stakeholders;
- Managing and reviewing performance of the team and individual team members;
- Provide strategic input as a member of the Team;
- Monitor performance of PNGOs and concerned programme personnel.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of Programme, Policy and Campaigns, she/he is expected to maintain functional relationship with her/his peers in team, priority and project management team and staff across the office. Maintain liaison and networking with ActionAid International / Federation and other ActionAid Country Programmes. Maintain regular close working relationship with partner organisation. Expected to maintain linkages with national strategic partners and also maintain liaison with different networks, forums, govt. and related stakeholders.
- 8 years of professional experience in the field of labour rights/ social compliance/ ethical sourcing/ gender and human rights. (At least 3 years experience in managerial position in an INGO/ funding agency).
- Comprehensive understanding on labour law, ILO convention, UNGP, gender, occupational health and safety and related national and international policy instruments.
- Understanding of government system and decision making process.
- In depth understanding on budget preparation and budget management process of GoB.
- Comprehensive understanding on RMG supply chain and challenges.
- Experience in EC and/or other donor funded projects and contract management.
- Working experience with local and national NGOs, RMG factories and trade unions.
- Advocacy and capacity building experience with Ministry of Labor and Employment, Ministry of Commerce, ILO, BGMEA, BKMEA, BEF and relevant business associations and multi-stakeholder committees.
- Track record in rights based programming, implementation and monitoring of women rights issues.
- Experience of managing/ supervising team members/ staff.
- Track record in policy advocacy and campaigning.
- Strong leadership quality.
- Strategic decision making ability.
- Ability to manage multifunctional team.
- Report writing, documentation and articulation skill.
- Good interpersonal communication and lobbying skill.
- Good command in Bangla and English.